By David Bruce Smith
Prints by Clarice Smith
“TENNESSEE” is a limited edition, four-color letterpress three-volume collection that contains the first publication—and printing—of Tennessee Williams’s recently discovered play, “These Are the Stairs You Got to Watch.” It is accompanied by “The Glass Menagerie” and “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.”
Also included within is original artwork by the world renowned artist, Clarice Smith, who was commissioned to create six, full page works of “Tennessee’s Women.” David Bruce Smith, publisher of the collection, has provided the commentary. Michael Kahn, Artistic Director of the Shakespeare Theatre and friend to Williams, authored the preface.
Tennessee Williams is the AMERICAN Shakespeare
This limited collection is the perfect gift for dignitaries, heads of executive agencies, Corporate CEO’s, university and foundation executives and other national and world leaders. Please feel free to email or call us at 703.786.1430 if you have any questions about ordering this limited-edition book.
- Fine Limited Edition – Hand Bound, Hand Printed
- Included within is original artwork by the world renowned artist, Clarice Smith, who was commissioned to create six, multicolor offset lithographic prints of “Tennessee’s Women.”
- From metal plates. Printing/color separations performed individually on a World War ll-type roller press in Florence, Italy.
- 3 subjects, Maggie, Laura and Girl, full page illustrations bound within the book.
- Blanche, Maxine and Alma prints, unbound, signed by the artist and nestled inside the box.
- David Bruce Smith, publisher of the collection, has provided the commentary.
- Michael Kahn, Artistic Director of the Shakespeare Theatre and friend to Williams, authored the preface.
- Three volumes nestled in a soft black matte finish clamshell box lined with carbon-colored suede luxe.
- Elephant-sized folio (14″ x 18″), printed on Fabriano Rusticus paper.
- Book Design and Art Binding by John Paul Greenawalt and Stephen L. Vanilio.
- Printed by Paolo Barbieri on a letterpress and hand set in Baskerville type in four colors.
- End papers in cream colored translucent paper.
- Limited to 750 standard editions.
The Whole Book Experience has a wonderful, in-depth article about TENNESSEE.
You may also schedule an appointment to view the book in Washington, DC.
- DBS Publications, LLC
- David Bruce Smith
- Clarice Smith
- Fine Limited Edition: Hand Bound, Hand Printed, Limited to 750 "These Are the Stairs You Got to Watch." First publication—and printing—of Tennessee Williams's recently discovered play Tennessee's Women: Six, multicolor offset lithographic prints
Praise for Tennessee
This book is a wonderful way of keeping alive the craft of composing a book as a piece of art.